In various ways, smart components like security cameras and video doorbells have made our lives more secure. We are able to get notifications when someone comes up our front door, and we may even have video segments delivered to us when questionable activity is found. Having implements we can interact with via the internet advises us to developing hazards immediately. But there is one chief disadvantage. The quick access that benefits us is also creating a pathway for virtual intrusions.
While you don’t have to get yourself in a panic worrying about smart home hacking in New York City, you need to be aware of the risk involved and take action to avoid it.
Methods To Protect Yourself From Smart Home Hacking
It’s incredible how the internet has influenced our lives as all types of products are accessible online, including your security devices, smart TVs, and even your oven. The drawback is that this creates more pathways for hackers to break into your network. With that being said, you don’t have to avoid wireless home security systems or other smart devices. Instead, abide by these recommendations and do what you can to keep intruders off your network.
- Use hard-to-crack passwords: This is a necessity for every account, especially your home’s wireless network. Use lower and upper casing and an assortment of letters, special characters, and numbers. Don’t use birth dates, anniversaries, or anything else hackers may easily figure out. A password generator will provide something absolutely random and a password manager will aid you in keeping tabs on your different accounts.
- Update default settings: When setting up your new router, it’s likely to come with a standard password to help you get started. Don’t forget to update it. Hackers are likely to know these default settings as well. Setting up your wireless network and new router correctly from day one will go a long way to keeping you secure.
- Consider more than one network: Why have your smart range, your home security components, and your home computer on one network? Many routers will let you create a separate guest network. Make use of it and protect personal material found on your phone, desktop, and laptop.
- Add protection with a firewall: Firewalls aren’t only for business settings. They can also be used on home network. Firewalls can watch what’s happening on your network and stop suspicious activity. You can begin with a router that offers a built-in firewall.
- Choose the top encryption settings and security protocols: If you own a new router, you will likely have the chance to use WPA3, the most up-to-date wireless security protocol. If that’s not an option, WPA2 with AES encryption will be sufficient. You ought to find home security devices that use 128-bit or higher.
- Ensure software and firmware is updated: Keep your firmware and software at the latest levels for all components, which includes your integrated video cameras. In some cases, these updates will fix various susceptibilities and bolster your network’s security.
Be Wary of Cheap Smart Home Components In New York City
One of the benefits of turning to a respected company like ADT is having the peace of mind that security implements are consistently being inspected to address any flaws hackers could take advantage of. Other knock-off brands may not be quite as diligent. Getting your surveillance systems, video doorbell, smart thermostat, and additional items from a single reputable company like ADT is the right move. And deciding to have all of your systems connected at the same time will help ensure seamless implementation, performance, and security. It’s important to note that ADT Command, the central touchpad interface, employs two-way encryption when interacting with your connected devices.
Design Your Own New York City Home Defense Package
Now that you have more knowledge on how to keep your private network safe from cyber criminals, it’s time to start on your own home defense system in New York City. The security professionals at Secure24 Alarm Systems are ready to create the perfect package for your family. Contact us at (212) 553-6591 or submit the form to take your protection to a new level.